Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Trash Fishing, David and Goliath Rock Slinging and Rice Crispies



Dear Family,

How are you guys? I hope everything is going super excellently for all of you.
If I remember correctly all of you are leaving for or getting ready to leave for a cruise. But you all didn`t mention to where your cruise was headed. So where y´all goin´? I`d like to know how the cruise goes/is going and what wholesome activities you have planned.
Okay, so this week...
Well, it`s been kind of a slow week. There`s been lots of days where our appointments have fallen through. But let`s start with the good things: Rice Crispy Treats. That`s right your favorite `stale air` and marshmallow confection! But I know what you´re thinking. ´´BUt, but marshmallows don`t exist in Argentina´´, and you sir/miss would be absolutely correct. If they do exist in the same puffy, round form as we so commonly know them, I have yet to find them. Luckily for me and all of my district we have a beloved Chilean Sister in our district named Hermana Valderas. This blessed sister´s parents happened to take a vacation from Chile to Bariloche, Argentina, and thinking of their daughter they brought a truck-load of goodies and things for her from Chile and sent them to her from Bariloche. Hence, this week Hermana Valderas recieved two gigantic packages. They were huge and filled with clothes and chilean candies and treats of all sorts; including marshmallows. She, knowing that we would apprecitate them, gave us a whole bag of marshmallows.
My companion was ever-so-enthused and started to eat them plain and with whatever other thing, but then the idea came to me: Make Rice Crispy Treats! So I stopped him from consuming the puffy confections and told him that I would make something even better.
Okay, now I wasn`t sure of the recipe, but what I did remember is that they included Marshmallows, and Butter... And that`s it. So, that`s what I did. We took 2/3rds of the bag of marshmallows and 100g of butter and mixed them together and then bought a bag of what pretends to be the other off-brand of rice crispies. The cereal was a little old, but by magic and a little bit of memory they actually turned out! Puro Magia.
So that was the best thing that happened this week. We each had one and then we thought, hmm the Hermanas are sick... Maybe they would like some. So we made them a little card that said Feliz Dìa de Las Enfermas and we gave them the rest. Haha, they`ve been in denial that they are sick for about a week now, saying ``No, we`re not sick... *coughcough*``, but the consistent coughing and sniffling gives them away as the sickos that they are.
Okay, that`s about it. I`m getting better at Chess, and my companion has a bad habit of wanting all my things.


Okay, short story of today. We made Pupusas (Salvadoreño dish) that didn`t turn out, and then later the gringos and I after a few weeks of trying finally got to the river! I don`t know why going to the river is so important or noteworthy, but we did it. I also did another very noteworthy thing, I made a sling (like david and goliath). And I threw some rocks at the river. (See the videos taken by my friend Elder Adcock) We also went fishing... I had hooks and fishing line that I bought at a hardware store, but I forgot about the sinker and bobber, and worms (probably because they don`t exist here). So we made them out of Argentine Trash. A rock between two bottle caps wrapped in a plastic bag sirved as a sinker and for a bobber I used a iodine dropper bottle thing. See the video for the cast. Also after I failed to find any worms and the spider got away from me I got myself a cricket. The videos do it a lot more justice and they`re nice and short.

Okay, that`s all for the week. Please note that I wrote the majority of this email before I read your emails so you might have already answered some questions.

Love,

Elder Bradley Turek




Note for Tyler: Dearest Brother. I know that my birthday is more than a month behind us, but I remember that you said that you wanted to get me something if you could. Have you heard of Mighty Wallet? Google it. They`re really cool, thin, well-designed, wallets. There`re lots of cool designs and maybe one you and I would like in particular. It`s got a whole bunch of different conversions like meters to feet, furlongs to yards, tons to cubic centimenters, a whole bunch of stuff like that, with a bunch of little graphs and the like. Look for it. I`m sure you would like one. If you would be so kind as to send me pictures of it and then I`ll tell you if I really want it. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment