Monday, September 9, 2013

¿Me entiende? Uh... (Understand? Uh...)



Familia y amigos!

Oh, how in the heck (or heaven, rather) are all of you? Man, I love, love, LOVE hearing from all of you! Thanks so much for your emails!

All is well here in Argentina! It's like a whole 'nother country!! (Okay, I'll try and promise to never use that joke again.) But yes all is well! During our last P-Day, we went to the Capilla (Chapel) and played Fútbol around back. I don't know, but I think eventually, I could actually play that sport without sucking a whole lot. We'll see.

My companions are still well, too. They still speak spanish and I still consistently say "Otra vez, por favor." (Again, please) when they talk, but I seriously am getting better and better at understanding others. (Note for dad: Yes the trio business is going to be for a whole tranfer)

These first few weeks, all I've really been able to do is smile, nod and laugh--a lot. This seems to work, and they think you're understanding what their saying, that is until they ask you a question and expect a non-yes-or-no response and you say "Oh, si..." and smie. Then they get a really confused look on their face, or look at your companions give them a confused look, and then the terrifying realization comes to you that they just asked you a question and you have no idea what they just said. It's wonderful.

I've been practicing, because the hardest thing for me so far, has been understanding people, actively listening. The people here talk really fast, sometimes mumble, and they say all of their "LL"s and "Y"s, with a "SH" sound, which in mexico they say with a "Y" like in "Yeah"and so it is really hard to catch what they are saying. "Yo me llamo..." (My name is...) is now, "Show me shawmo...". I'm actually getting used to it really well.

Anyway, I have to go, but I'll leave you with some pictures, because they're worth a thousand words.

The first is of me studying. This position is optimal for not falling asleep.
The other is of me and my companions having a Argentine pizza for lunch, bought for us by the one of the members who owns a shop (or Kiosko)--this is not the norm, normally we eat homemade food at the homes of the members, which has been most excellent thus far.


Thanks so much all! I love you all! If there would be one thing you could do for me this week, it would be to go and do just one small act of service for someone, anyone! May love for your fellow man swell in your hearts!

Love,

Elder Bradley Turek





Here's some more pictures:

These are pictures of my bed, made of up to two slightly lopsided colchons (mattresses) and the beds of my companions.

and 

A oh-so-cute...thing...made for us by some little girls in our ward. The first one is me, the second Elder Lubormirski and the third, Elder Rojas. They are so dang cute, and nice!


No comments:

Post a Comment